Review-Monday: Dumplin`

Krisi Schoellkopf | Montag, 30. Mai 2016 |
Review - Monday: Dumplin`


Welcome to all my book worms!
I hope you enjoyed last week´s review :) Today it´s all about "Dumplin`". 
Enjoy and lots of love,
Krisi


Title: Dumplin`(Go big or go home)
Author: Julie Murphy
Published by: Balzer & Bray
Genre: Young Adult, Real-Life
Pages: 384
Published on: 15 September 2015
Price: 11,90 Euros (Hardcover), 5,53 Euros (e-Book)



Blurb

Dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom, Willowdean has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American-beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . .  until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.  
Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Teen Blue Bonnet Pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.
(amazon)


Author

Julie Murphy lives in North Texas with her husband who loves her, her dog who adores her, and her cats who tolerate her. After several wonderful years in the library world, Julie now writes full-time. When she´s not writing or reliving her reference desk glory days, she can be found watching made-for-TV movies, hunting for the perfect slice of cheese pizza, and planning her next great travel adventure. Her acclaimed first novel is Side Effects May Vary.
(Dumplin`)


My thoughts

Have you ever felt insecure about yourself? Do you keep thinking about what to change about yourself and your body? Do you? 

When I first heard about Dumplin`I was very eager to get my hands on this very book. I had just read a recommendation by a Young Adult´s website saying "Dumplin` is a one sitting read and should not be missed.". When the book was finally delivered to my door step, I couldn´t wait to start reading. 

The cover is beautiful! You can see a woman wearing a stunning red dress while lifting her arms up in the air as if saying "Here I am!". There is a tiara floating in the air above her waiting to be put on someone´s head. The rest of the cover is black and I highly recommend the hardcover version of the book because the book case feels like satin. I just can´t stop gliding my hand over it ;-).

The story is inexplicably touching and fun at the same time. Willowdean, Dumplin`, lives with her mother who can´t deal with the fact that Willowdean is not perfect. She is "a big girl" struggling with body issues and the fact that her aunt passed away, whom she loved unconditionally. Willowdean is not the type of girl to give up on things she wants to achieve, so she goes for it trying to convince everyone around her that you don´t have to have the perfect body to feel comfortable in your skin and to live happily.

I loved being part of Willowdean´s world! She is the type of girl I admire. She wants to get all the prejudices out of the way and show people what actually matters in life. She might seem like a very self-confident girl to you but she has her moments too and I think that this is what makes her authentic and real to the reader. I personally could identify myself with her very well and I think this is one of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much. 

Julie Murphy´s style of writing is full of humor and you can actually read the book in one sitting. You are drawn into Willowdean´s world and you can´t do anything about it. 

Julie Murphy is one of the most likeable authors in this world. By creating "Dumplin`", she stands up to all the prejudices and bullying in the world. I admire her very much and I can tell you that it is a lot of fun to follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Her tweets are hilarious!




Rating

I had a lot of fun reading "Dumplin`" and believe it or not, it made me feel a lot better about myself. If you want to grab a marvellous read, go and get "Dumplin`".
You won´t regret it. :-)
Thant´s why there is only one number of book worms I could possibly award this book with:







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen