Review-Monday

Krisi Schoellkopf | Montag, 23. Mai 2016 |
Review Monday



Welcome to our first Review Monday!
Thank you so much for stepping by and checking out Review Monday. 
I hope you are going to enjoy reading about all kinds of books that I read throughout the week and review every Monday.
Have fun and don´t hesitate to tell me what you think in the comments.
Love,
Krisi


Title: Obsidian (A Lux Novel (1))
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published by: Entangled Teen
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Pages: 400
Published on: 12 May 2012
Price: 7,99 Euros (Paperback), 0,99 Euros (e-Book)



Blurb

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is. 
(amazon.de)


About the author

# 1 New York Times and International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Martinsburg, West Virginia. All the rumors you’ve heard about her state aren’t true. When she’s not hard at work writing. she spends her time reading, watching really bad zombie movies, pretending to write, and hanging out with her husband and her Jack Russell Loki.
Her dreams of becoming an author started in algebra class, where she spent most of her time writing short stories….which explains her dismal grades in math. Jennifer writes young adult paranormal, science fiction, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She is published with Spencer Hill Press, Entangled Teen and Brazen, Disney/Hyperion and Harlequin Teen. Her book Obsidian has been optioned for a major motion picture and her Covenant Series has been optioned for TV. Her young adult romantic suspense novel DON’T LOOK BACK was a 2014 nominated Best in Young Adult Fiction by YALSA.
She also writes Adult and New Adult contemporary and paranormal romance under the name J. Lynn. She is published by Entangled Brazen and HarperCollins.(jenniferarmentrout.com)


My thoughts

I had already meant to read "Obsidian" for about a lifetime when I finally decided to buy the book. I had heard about people obsessing over this book and I was curious. What was it about this book that hooked people? I was about to experience it myself. 

I want to be honest with you. I hate this cover! I prefer reading books in English so when I first heard about "Obsidian" I checked out the English version and I was disappointed by the book´s appearance. I had imagined it to be similar to the German cover but I was mistaken. Well, after a couple of hours of deliberation I bought it in the end thinking: "The content matters!" I don´t know why I don´t like the cover (the guy with the glowing eyes is handsome!) but it seemed like a cheap replication of a good book´s cover to me. Anyways, I don´t want to dwell on all this any longer, let´s get to the most important section. The story and its protagonists...



Katy is a 17-year old girl who moves to a very, very small town in West Virginia. She´s a book blogger and a "girl next door", if you want to put it this way. When she meets Daemon for the first time she is amazed by his beauty but quite shocked by his behaviour nevertheless. Katy tries to ignore him and all she really wants is to start a new life and live happily. But as soon as Katy gets closer to Daemon´s sister, she starts feeling attracted to the "douche" without any doubt. But Daemon isn´t the man he pretends to be...

The characters in Jennifer L. Armentrout´s book are vivid and you feel like reading about your best friends. I was especially fond of Katy. We are alike: she´s a book blogger (so am I), she loves chocolate (so do I), her behaviour resembles mine and I felt emotionally attached to her from page 1. Daemon is... Daemon. He is the hot guy you would stare at if he walked by you. At first I thought he was a jerk but after a couple of chapters I got to fall for him. Hard. But you have to experience it yourselves, it´s indescribable!

Jennifer´s style of writing is terrific. You can read the book in one sitting without the need to get a break. Her style is unique, I think. On the one hand, she has a very juvenile way of describing emotions or places but on the other hand, the way she tells the story seems so honest and credible that you don´t want to question a single word in this book. 
I really enjoyed experiencing the story from Katy´s perspective because I would never want to miss her nasty comments on everything Daemon does. It´s priceless!

I loved her way of introducing the protagonists to the reader because you feel like meeting your childhood friends again. You know them very well even though you have no idea who they really are. That´s the quality of a great book being told by a very talented author. 



Rating

I think "Obsidian" is one of the best books I´ve read in a while. This book combines all the attributes you like about other books. Convincing characters, a great story and a writing style you want to kill for. 
That´s why there is only one number of book worms I could possibly give to "Obsidian":




Thank you so much for reading this review! I can´t wait for next Monday to come around. :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen